Media plays a very significant role in keeping everyone updated about the various events around the world. Today, we can check out the latest news and current affairs with just few clicks of mouse or by simply switching on the radio or television, apart from glancing at the newspaper every morning!
It's also the best medium of communication for mass audience. With the help of various media like electronic media, print media and web media, the mass communication method is accomplished in a suitable way.
A vast majority of people, all across the world, rely upon various sources of media for keeping themselves updated on various ongoing issues around the world. Media plays an important role for the whole society.
Let us know and understand the significance of media through the following important points:
1. Gives us immense knowledge & transmits information – Media keeps us informed about various happening around the world. It lets us know what is happening around us and all over the world. With the help of media, we get immense knowledge on various subjects. Media plays a vital role in the dissemination of information. It broadcasts, prints and updates information from time to time so that the general public stays aware of what is going on in the country and in the entire world.
2. Raises our consciousness – Media ignites awareness in us by providing information and knowledge. It does not enforces its own opinion on us, but provides facts, figures and news to us so that we can analyze the information and can understand, what is wrong and what is right?
3. Raises voice against issues in societies– Media also plays a constructive role for the society by raising awareness of issues. Presently, there are many examples of social issues like gender discrimination, etc. that have been raised by media. When media presents and unveils such issues, the public becomes aware and the necessary steps are taken for resolving the issues! Media also helps reach the voice of masses to the concerned authorities.
4. Provides true pictures and live telecast for various events – Any live event happening right now can be watched anywhere. For example, the FIFA World Cup, a political address by a PM, live coverage of areas affected by flooding or just any other incident, media helps us see the true picture by providing the LIVE or recorded telecast for almost all important events.
5. Educates the society – One of the most important roles of media is to educate the society. We can explore and analyze various product reviews, do price comparison for various items, read news about politics, fashion, war, weather, health and much more with the help of media. Media exposes issues like poverty, illiteracy, social backwardness, etc., and educates people on the same. It also educates people about their rights and duties and helps enforce law as well.
The five points just mentioned tell us the important role of media in spreading any message across the world in today’s society.
Now how do we use media to propagate what Karbala witnessed just last week?
The great pilgrimage of Arbaeen.
Every year, many news agencies, TV channels and prominent figures from around the world have come to Karbala and provided great media coverage of Arbaeen.
This year there was a team from France TV. A team from the Turkish-language Meltem TV. A team from the Chilean-language Channel 13. Another Italian channel, Pakistani Channels, Indian Channels, Iranian Channels, etc.
Also, every year, there are figures from different religions joining the walk. This year we had the Georgian Reverend Malkhas. The Irish Christian lady Tara Okride.
In the last few years, the BBC, the Independent, the Guardian, Reuters, CNN, and many others have published articles and reports on Arbaeen.
Despite all of that, as long as the entire world has yet to know about Imam Hussein and Arbaeen, there still needs to be work done in this field.
The largest annual peaceful human gathering in the world the media attention it deserves.
But we shouldn’t wait for news agencies and we shouldn’t wait till next year to do our part. Everyone watching from home right now can do a few things to help out in order for Arbaeen to reach every corner in the world.
Here are some ideas for you:
Every little thing we do counts.
Gradually, inshallah, all humanity will become aware of the largest peaceful human gathering in humanity.
Reality Of Islam
Imam Ja’far ibn Muhammad as-Sadiq (PBUH) has said that: “Reciting the Qur’an from the pages of the Qur’an (meaning to look at it and recite it - not from memory) lightens the punishment of one’s mother and father, even if they are both disbelievers.” Usulul Kafi, Volume 2, Page 613
Imam Ja’far ibn Muhammad as-Sadiq (PBUH) has said that: “Reciting the Qur’an from the pages of the Qur’an (meaning to look at it and recite it - not from memory) lightens the punishment of one’s mother and father, even if they are both disbelievers.”
Usulul Kafi, Volume 2, Page 613